To Jeff 95 Z28 ------>

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Jeff 95 Z28 ------>

The sad thing is our recent "tiff" wasn't even about the issues, it was about who said what and how it was meant. To you I extend an olive branch, as I don't want to be on anyone's wrong side here, as I'm sure you don't. We should all be friends because we share a great hobby, not enemies because our politics differ.

I'm really not even on Kerry's side, I don't think he's that great, but neither are/were any of the candidates this year. Since I love a good debate, I only wanted to throw a dissenting voice into the mix to break up the cheers for Bush. I can argue just about any side of any debate, and if this was an 85% democrat crowd I'd be the one defending Bush, not because I agree with him but because I love a good back and forth debate... it's the way you learn new things.

I meant no personal attacks on you or anyone else in anything I said, and I was confused as to how it could have been construed as one. I guess one needs to be careful the way one writes/reads things on the internet, and remember tone cannot be conveyed nor inferred. Again, I meant no harm and was only trying to further the debate (although I still do not like doing it on an f-body site, I can't resist it!) and I offer the peace pipe.
    Dave M
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Why would you only want to "throw a dissenting voice into the mix" just to argue. That is comnpletely opposite of what the entire point of a debate is about. A debate is about arguing and standing up for your innermost convictions. If you are willing to argue both sides even though your convictions don't remain consistent with both sides, then that is simply trolling for controversy and is most likely why you took a little heat on the Kerry thread.

Debate class in college is one thing. You debate both sides for a reason......to learn how to it is to take the offensive with the defensive. When you debate in a real life circumstance such as on this board, it doesn't make any sense to speak other than your true convictions.

Comment

I don't agree with you, there. If everyone is going around agreeing with each other (disagreements about minor issues within the larger one notwithstanding) then nobody is doing anything except reinforcing their beliefs. Hearing another opinion forces you to have a open mind, to consider other possibilities that perhaps you haven't before. It's the way we learn and an important part of expanding your knowledge base. Either that or you just put your wall up and refuse to acknowledge others' beliefs and opinions, and unfortunately that happens a lot. Few people are willing to give equal consideration to the other side, and imediately dismiss it because it doesn't agree with them.
      Dave M
      Life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it!

Comment

Working...
      X