Z needs some help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z needs some help

Hey everyone. Long time, no post. Sorry to be one of those guys who only shows up when something is wrong, but, well, something's wrong. lol

For the last couple weeks, I've been getting a strange vibration around the 1500 rpm area. Its not there all the time, and when it is, it seems to dissipate as the car warms up. Vehicle speed doesn't seem to trigger it, only engine speed. Now, just today, I'm hearing a whole lot of noise any time the motor revs beyond idle. It almost sounds like a dying alternator (thing bad bearing), but it seems to be coming from the valve train area. Never noticed it until tonight. I did have the oil changed yesterday, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I'm for the motor to cool before I check the oil. Any thoughts on this? Am I looking at 2 separate problems or 1? As always, thanks in advance.
    Steve
    79 FSJ - most expensive AMC Jeep ever Mods
    87 GN - its just a 6... Mods
    93 Z28 - slightly tweaked Mods
    http://home.comcast.net/~budlopez

Just went out and checked the car. Oil level is fine and the noise is definitely coming from the passenger side. The closer I put my ear to the valve cover, the more it sounds like its coming from the valve area and not the alternator. I'm guessing I should prepare for a big job, yes?
    Steve

Comment

Hard to tell how big the job till you get into it really...could be a bad rocker or many things really...

Al
      Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

Yeah, that was exactly my thoughts too. Thankfully, Firestone found that one of the alternator brackets had made its way loose and snugged it down for me. No more sound, which is good.

But, the vibration persists, which I thought it would. I remember the trans. shop telling me the flywheel was "barely able to be turned" when I had the clutch done 10 yrs. ago. Could it be coming out of balance due to age and wear? Should I be checking other things first?
        Steve

Comment

Re: Z needs some help

Something is definitely out if balance..... Yes possibly your flywheel, since already spotted. Other things, driveshaft, transmission mount, motor mount, or simply a wheel. Just I few ideas. Id start with the easiest and work my toward the flywheel.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. Turned out to be the alternator. Go figure, right? In any case, new one is in and vibration is gone. Have a good one guys and gals!
            Steve

Comment

Glad you figured it out, thanks for sharing...it may help someone else some day.

Al
              Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

That kind of makes sense.
                If the bracket was loose it may have caused undue wear on the alternator.

Glad it was an easy fix.
                My DD
                2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Working...
                X