tire size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire size

I just got a set of stock c6 rims 4 my TA i would like 2 run a 275/40/19 on the back.Will I have 2 change my computer setting 4 that tire size or will it b close 2 factory setting?

Are you aware you need 1.25" spacer/adapters to put the stock C6 19x10" 79mm offset wheels on the back of a 4th Gen (and I'm just guessing you have a 4th Gen, since you didn't mention anything about the specific car you are trying to fit them on). Then, the 275/40-19 is a HUGE tire... 27.7", and its just barely going to fit in the rear wheel well, and slow your car down considerably unless you go to a much higher rear axle ratio. Also going to jack the back end of the car up another 1".

Again... tell us specifically what year car you are trying to put these on, and what size tires came on your Trans Am from the factory. You will definitely have to have the PCM reprogrammed, since the car left the factory with either 25.7" (245/50-16) or 26.1" (235/55-16) tires.

A 285/30-19 would be a closer choice. But a "30" aspect ratio tire is going to have a very thin sidewall, that will provide an extremely harsh ride, and expose you wheels to damage from potholes.
    Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

Fronts will fit fine, just sit a bit deep in the wheel well, due to the 61mm offset.

Just for reference, the photo of my Formula in my "signature" has 28" tires in the back (ET Drag slicks). That's within 0.3" of the tires you are thinking about putting on your car.
      Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

The car is a 01 ws6 with factory 275/40/17on it. I'm worried with a small tire like a 285/30/19 n pothole since I live in MI. Where there are potholes that can swallow a car. I want something that will fit the car nicely, any help is appreciated since I do not know much about rim and tire size or if anyone knows a website that you can refer me to.

Comment

A 285/30-19 is not a "small" tire... its the exact same diameter as the stock tires on your car. The problem is the thin sidewall, a result of the oversize wheels.

What you are learning is that 19" wheels don't make any practical sense on these cars. To do it right, you need the thin sidewall, and that's what causes poor ride quality, exposes the wheels to damage, handles poorly with the 4th Gens' solid rear axle, and makes the brakes look pathetically small, negating the visual impact.
          Fred

Comment

Working...
          X