Ken... Getting a rescued Golden pup.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken... Getting a rescued Golden pup.

This just kind of came out of nowhere. I've always wanted another big dog (I grew up with Irish Setters). We have two Jack Russell Terriers... a brother/sister pair we got seven years ago. They get along great with other dogs as I've had them around my brother's and cousin's dogs since they were pups.

Anyway... I wasn't actively searching for another dog. If I found one, it had to be a Golden, Lab, or Setter of some type. Big, but not huge. I certainly wasn't going to buy one from a breeder. I wanted a rescued dog only.

So, my son is 2. He goes to a woman's house twice a week for daycare. She happens to have three Golden's. All three were rescued dogs at one time or another. Anyway, she got a call a few weeks ago that a litter of four was found in a dog crate at some Salvation Army drop-off site in New Hampshire. The dogs were only two weeks old.

She ended up taking in all four (2 male, 2 female). They are now 6 weeks old, and she found homes for 3 out of the 4. One female remains un-spoken for. My wife called me last night from the daycare and asked if I was interested. I went and saw her. I couldn't say no after hearing the story and seeing the dog.

We're picking her up next Friday when she's ready to go. She's already paper, crate, and leash trained. Any advice on Golden Retrievers? I've only had Setters which I understand are very similar in personality.
    SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
    Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Oops... Newb mistake.

Wrong forum. I thought I was in off-topic.

Anyway, while we're here... My daily driver is making a funny noise. J/K.
    SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
    17K Miles

Comment

awesome! ill let mary know... she might have heard of these.. ill check! kudo's man!!! way to go!

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
      Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
      sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I can't wait. The woman doesn't actively do rescue stuff at the moment. She wants to eventually.. .When her kids are older. Her sister lives up that way. In Vermont I believe. She found out about the dogs and got her in contact with the Salvation Army people. She drove up and got them.

I seriously can't understand why someone would do such a thing. I guess leaving them in a dog crate at a Salvation Army is one of the better methods you've probably seen or heard. Still... It gets cold at night. Especially for two week old pups. Fortunately, they were found around 9:00 PM. Not sure if they would have survived the night.
        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
        17K Miles

Comment

My dog Chipper was taken to a shelter at around 9am because a family was moving the England or something and we picked him up around noon or so.
          Hes a black lab/malumet (sp?) mix. Hes pitch black indoors but a orange/brown in the sun outdoors.

Heres me n' my pup

Here he is passed out real hard. He actually sleeps with his eyes open sometimes. Kinda weird aye....

Post pics when you get ur new puppy.
          1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Awesome dog. Thanks for posting pics. I will definitely post pics of the three together when we pick her up.
            SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
            17K Miles

Comment

greg that is badass, im gonna have to meet up with u one day so i can see it, maybe ill bring rex. he still think hes 2 but hes really 9 and of course
              PICTURES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
              2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by 88bird5spd
                greg that is badass, im gonna have to meet up with u one day so i can see it, maybe ill bring rex. he still think hes 2 but hes really 9 and of course
                PICTURES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
                That's a deal. What kind of dog or mix is Rex?
                SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                17K Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
                  I can't wait. The woman doesn't actively do rescue stuff at the moment. She wants to eventually.. .When her kids are older. Her sister lives up that way. In Vermont I believe. She found out about the dogs and got her in contact with the Salvation Army people. She drove up and got them.

I seriously can't understand why someone would do such a thing. I guess leaving them in a dog crate at a Salvation Army is one of the better methods you've probably seen or heard. Still... It gets cold at night. Especially for two week old pups. Fortunately, they were found around 9:00 PM. Not sure if they would have survived the night.
                  i could tell you horror stories about abandoned wolfdogs and goldens... you wont believe the horendous stuff people do........ us folks in animal rescue have a saying: people suk....... LOL..of course...that does not apply to some people... like you and others on this forum..

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
                    That's a deal. What kind of dog or mix is Rex?
                    Golden Retriever, we got him from a breeder in Pennslyvaina. if this deal didnt happen with the puppy, my mom works at the animal shelter here in new milford and friday they are gettin a 3 year old female golden. shes a stray and they've had her bout a month figuring some1 would claim her. they put up flyers, ad on petfinder.com and what not. they keep the dog but their dog didnt like the golden so they cant keep it.

heres a picture of rex
                    2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Golden Retriever, we got him from a breeder in Pennslyvaina. if this deal didnt happen with the puppy, my mom works at the animal shelter here in new milford and friday they are gettin a 3 year old female golden. shes a stray and they've had her bout a month figuring some1 would claim her. they put up flyers, ad on petfinder.com and what not. they keep the dog but their dog didnt like the golden so they cant keep it.

heres a picture of rex

ok...here goes, you need to get familiar with golden retriever "terms"...LOL... when mary first told me this...i almost died laughing....she shot me daggers....

what Rex is playing with (and goldens love em) is called a "woobie"........LOL... that right... they call those little stuff squeeky animals "woobies"......... as in: "wooo - beee"......

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by wolfdogs
                        i could tell you horror stories about abandoned wolfdogs and goldens... you wont believe the horendous stuff people do........ us folks in animal rescue have a saying: people suk....... LOL..of course...that does not apply to some people... like you and others on this forum..
                        Thanks, Ken. I agree. People in general can suck. They treat animals as if they are third class citizens of this planet. I remember a few of the horror stories you shared with us. I can't imagine seeing it in person as you do... and still keeping my composure. That story about the Golden that was knifed turns my stomach.

I know you've heard it a million times before, but what you and Mary do for these animals is amazing. There just isn't enough people like that in the world. I mean, the fact that there even needs to be rescue organizations at all speaks volumes...
                        SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                        17K Miles

Comment

heres a picture of rex
                          Great pic. As I've said, I've always loved big, loyal dogs. Growing up with Irish Setters, I just got used to having them around. Labs, Retrievers, and Setters have always been my choice. I love my Jack Russells to death, but I'm looking forward to adding a big dog to the stable.
                          SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                          17K Miles

Comment

My pup loves his woobies too, he probably has like 10 different animals to chew on here are a few.
                            He even likes sleeping with them:

1996 Trans Am:T-tops,graphite leather,16" chrome T/A rims, Nitto's, Descreened MAF, Morosso CAI, hypertech, flowtech cut out, 1LE elbow, Silver BMR tubular SFC's, 160 thermo, limo tint, harwood ws6 hood, !side molding, Stage 2 trans.

Looking for a driver side window.

Comment

Originally posted by PUREPWR
                              My pup loves his woobies too, he probably has like 10 different animals to chew on here are a few.
                              He even likes sleeping with them:

the duck is a hoot...thats the one that quaks, right? our female loves that one. Rocky..our 5 yr old chews em up though...so we have to segregate him when its woobietime...LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X