Hyena vs. Wolf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyena vs. Wolf

Which one wins in a fight? Hyenas are dogs right? Are they canine? I was reading an article on hyena's in national geographic. There was a pic of one cowering down to a lion, he was covered in mud, and his mouth was wide open, showing his teeth. It looked BAD. I was just wondering if a wolf would be able to kill one, or if the hyena would kill the wolf. Maybe wolfman knows? I know they're not the same as wolfdogs.

I'm betting on the hyena after seeing the size of it's jaw bones. Plus I read that they eat the bones of their kill. They gotta have some powerful jaws/teeth.

The hyena

Vs

the wolf

97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Funny.. National Geographic Channel had a show on the other day about the honey badger. They showed a hyena and one of these little beast going at it. The hyena tryed to take the honey badgers meal and lost. The hyena died from bite wounds a day later. I think the hyena would take the wolf.
    96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

On paper the Jaws of the hyena would be just to strong but on any givin day anything can kill anything. All it takes is one good bite or strike.

97 ws6 6sp 40k miles 355 cubes strange s 60 rear 373 gears. other stuff! 360rwhp

current
      2006 GMC Denali 6.0 AWD!!!! hers

Comment

the hyena is not a from the canis family, its from another family of animals.

like the wolf, it travels in packs, and thats its strength. it weighs more than the wolf.....

you have to remember, the wolf is a very smart creature, its social structure is closer to the human than any other family. its ability to use the pack for strategic hunting is unreal, bringing down animals weighing over 10 times thier weight..sometimes even bigger, ie: the buffalo.

the hyena on the other hand, is more "barbaric" if you will...its social skills and intellegence lacks greatly compared to the wolf.......

the good Lord was gracious enough not to place the hyena and the wolf in the same areas of the world..... the hyena is primative, but a vicious scanvenger....

Canis Lupus is the breed of the wolf

http://sailfish.exis.net/~spook/hyenatxt.html

The Goldens: Reno and Rocky

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Wolfdog Rescue Resources, Inc.:http://www.wrr-inc.org
        Home Page: http://www.renokeo.com
        sold: 97 Firehawk, 97 Comp T/A, 2005 GTO, 2008 Solstice GXP turbo.

Comment

I saw a special on TLC I think it was that talked about the wolf. Shocking how smart they are.

It walked through the woods, found elk print. Found a branch that the elk was chewing on, and smelled that the elk was sick, so they focused on this elk, knowing it would be an easy target. They traced the elk down, saw that it had a hobbled leg, so they focused on that in bringing it down. It was amazing how much they knew about this elk just from it's scent, and then how they brought it down. It was a really awesome special.

The wolfs weigh about 75-80 pounds, and hyena's are averaging about 130-140. I am gonna have to say the wolf loses
          97 Chevy 'Raro Z28 M6- Ported & Polished LT1 heads,beehives,1.6/1.94 valves, 226/231 custom cam,K&N FIPK, 94-95 BBK shorty's,ORY,Magnaflow Catback,no cats,BMR LCA Relocation Brackets,Lower Control Arms,Adjustable Panhard Bar,Eibach Pro Kit,SPEC Stage 1,Walbro 255 Fuel Pump,30LB Injectors,Pro 5.0,Short stick,MSD 8.5's,NGK TR55's,LT4KM

01 Honda CBR600 F4i-Two bro's,Corbins,SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by raroZ28
            I saw a special on TLC I think it was that talked about the wolf. Shocking how smart they are.

It walked through the woods, found elk print. Found a branch that the elk was chewing on, and smelled that the elk was sick, so they focused on this elk, knowing it would be an easy target. They traced the elk down, saw that it had a hobbled leg, so they focused on that in bringing it down. It was amazing how much they knew about this elk just from it's scent, and then how they brought it down. It was a really awesome special.

The wolfs weigh about 75-80 pounds, and hyena's are averaging about 130-140. I am gonna have to say the wolf loses
            the average weight of a male gray wolf is 110 - 118 lbs, a female is 85 - 95 lbs.

the wolf is very agile and very quick....and...it knows the power of its enemies... i doubt a lone wolf would take on a lone hyena........ and from an endurance standpoint... the wolf could out run and out distance one easily.

2008 C6, M6, LS3, Corsa Extreme C/B, (it flys) & 2008 Yukon loaded (Titanic), 03 Ford Focus..everydaydriver.

Comment

My brain hurts...
              SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
              SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
              17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
              Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

Originally posted by 02 WS6
                My brain hurts...
                thats funny, you face is killing me.............................

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                  thats funny, you face is killing me.............................

That's it! You're on MY LIST now!

Okay, I don't actually have a list, nor would I do anything with it if I did. Therefore, my threat is obsolete. Carry on....

SOLD: 2002 Trans Am WS.6 - Black on Black - 6 Speed
                  SLP Loudmouth Exhaust
                  17K Miles

2005 Acura TL - Silver on Black
                  Navigation - Surround Audio - Bluetooth

Comment

There was a show, I believe called lion battlefield or something, on the Discovery Channel about a year ago, that showed how animals attack, survive, and help each other in parts of Africa.

I basically starts out showing an animal dead (from natural causes). The hyena's were the first to pick up on it, so they started making their calls, and hyena's started coming in from many directions to get to the animal. They were the first ones there.

All along, while this was happening, there were vultures flying around above. When one vulture noticed that hyenas were coming in from many directions, it starts to signal other vultures that there is food somewhere.

As the vultures would come in from different directions, this signaled the jackals down on the ground that there was food somewhere.

When the vultures would land, many animals wouldn't try and eat them due to the fact that a lot of animals depend on vultures to find a kill so they in return could eat. The vultures and the jackals would share dead animals. As the jackals came in though, they outnumbered the hyenas, and the animal was theirs.

While all of this was going on though, the slowest of the group to pick up on a dead animal, the lion, was also trying to find food. Once he picked up on this same animal and gets to the site, everything else fled. It was basically all a race to eat this animal before the lion gets there.

Pretty cool stuff
                    black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                      There was a show, I believe called lion battlefield or something, on the Discovery Channel about a year ago, that showed how animals attack, survive, and help each other in parts of Africa.

I basically starts out showing an animal dead (from natural causes). The hyena's were the first to pick up on it, so they started making their calls, and hyena's started coming in from many directions to get to the animal. They were the first ones there.

All along, while this was happening, there were vultures flying around above. When one vulture noticed that hyenas were coming in from many directions, it starts to signal other vultures that there is food somewhere.

As the vultures would come in from different directions, this signaled the jackals down on the ground that there was food somewhere.

When the vultures would land, many animals wouldn't try and eat them due to the fact that a lot of animals depend on vultures to find a kill so they in return could eat. The vultures and the jackals would share dead animals. As the jackals came in though, they outnumbered the hyenas, and the animal was theirs.

While all of this was going on though, the slowest of the group to pick up on a dead animal, the lion, was also trying to find food. Once he picked up on this same animal and gets to the site, everything else fled. It was basically all a race to eat this animal before the lion gets there.

Pretty cool stuff

sounds like my x wife going shopping........at a sale......

(the lion)..........

LOL

good stuff though!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman
                        sounds like my x wife going shopping........at a sale......

(the lion)..........

LOL

good stuff though!!!
                        HAHAHAHA
                        LOL
                        black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

Hyena's have the strongest jaw muscles of any land mammal. I got my money on the Hyena in an all out "rumble".

They would make for good protection... or not!

2005 GTO, Quicksilver, 6-Speed, DynaTech LT's and thats it. 366.6 hp/366.7 tq last time I checked.
                          Sold-1995 Dark GreenTrans Am, Auto 63K. BBK Headers/off-road y-pipe/Hooker Exhaust/LPI CAI/Hypertech...need some money!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blevyou know
                            Hyena's have the strongest jaw muscles of any land mammal. I got my money on the Hyena in an all out "rumble".

They would make for good protection... or not!
                            this picture, as you know, is from Niggeria... in the background, see the baboon? they are mortal enimies of the hyena...not only do they have the teeth to back them up, but they have extremely strong arms and are very acrobatic.......

jaws are great, but they have to get where they will do damage before the foes jaws do.......

Comment

Kinda off topic, But I hate to see chains on animals. They have no business keeping those animals as pets.
                              96 Camaro Z28/A4,Vortech elbow,Moroso CAI,Flowmaster.Addco PHR,LCA,160* Stat,pcmforless,1LE Driveshaft,1LE A/C delete pulley,1LE Front sway bar,Strut brace,sub frames, LT4 knock module,255 lph pump,Cutout,

Comment

Working...
                              X