Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on Exhaust options...

Hey guys,
    I need some advice on what to do with my exhaust. Ive got a 91 RS with a 305 TBI/auto. Its got Edelbrock TES Headers & a Flowmaster Cat-Back. The car sounds GREAT... Most of the time. My problem is the catalitic converter.

The converter on the car is the stock one. I know that its shot because the car has over 120,000miles on it & I am failing emissions. Also, the cat has a leak in it that sounds like POOP!! At certian RPM's, usually when the car shifts into drive or overdrive during light throttle, you can REALLY hear it. It sounds like a loud ticking sound. Anyway, I already bought a 3" Magnaflow Cat from E-Bay. Unfortunately, I bought a 3" cat were the pipe that it needs to be welded to is only 2-1/2" These are my options:

Return the 3" cat, get a 2.5" cat

Just use adaptors to make the 3" cat work

Return the 3" cat have have the exhaust shop do a custom y-pipe with dual cats.

I dont want the exhaust to get any quieter. Which is why I am worried about using adaptors. I have heard that using them will sometimes create a muffler effect.
    No F-Body right now

If your catback is 3", i'd keep the 3" cat. It should bolt up ok to the intermediate pipe, right?

So the question is how to connect the cat to the y pipe.. Can you just have it welded?
    Tracy
    2002 C5 M6 Convertible
    1994 Z28 M6 Convertible
    Current Mods:
    SLP Ultra-Z functional ramair, SS Spoiler, STB, SFCs, Headers, Clutch, Bilstein Shocks, and TB Airfoil. 17x9 SS rims with Goodyear tires, 160F T-Stat, MSD Blaster Coil, Taylor wires, Hurst billet shifter, Borla catback with QTP e-cutout, Tuned PCM, 1LE Swaybars, 1LE driveshaft, ES bushings, White gauges, C5 front brakes, !CAGS, Bose/Soundstream audio, CST leather interior, synthetic fluids

Comment

Mark,

Two suggestions.....

1) use the 3" that you have and just have the pipes increased and reduced to make it fit. This will not make any sound difference (compared with using a 2.5" unit).

2) If you want the BEST flow use a Random Technology 3" (or 2.5" ... both are the same) metallic cat. These WAY out flow anything else.

..........And I can sell you one!

See the photo comparing a ceramic cat with the metallic cat:

CERAMIC:

METALLIC:

Gordon
      PPC

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

what kind of cat did u get? either go with the 2.5" random tech cat that was posted above or go with a mangnaflow cat #54306 (54309 is 3") if u want polished. if u just want aluminized, another company makes them, but im forgetting the name (made by mangnaflow but aluminized and under a different name)
        86 Camaro (350)
        79 Blazer (FI 350)
        98 Buick Riviera (S/C)
        96 Grand Prix (Sp. Ed.)

Comment

carsound is the other manufacurer's name i couldn't remember
          86 Camaro (350)
          79 Blazer (FI 350)
          98 Buick Riviera (S/C)
          96 Grand Prix (Sp. Ed.)

Comment

M3Eater...

How much can I get one of those 3" Random Tech Cats for?

(Keep in mind you are selling to a fellow F-Body enthusiast!!) haha
            No F-Body right now

Comment

Mark,

If I have it in stock ..... $225.00

If I am out of that one & have to order it .... $250.00

Let me know & I'll check stock.

Thanks,
              Gordon

Gordon Arnold - '00 WS6 T/A - Sold

Comment

Oh.. Nevermind then. That too much $$ for me. I picked up my Magnaflow 3" cat on E-Bay for $60. I know it doesnt flow as well, but I could buy (2) Magnaflow 2" cats and have them welded into a custom "Y" pipe and installed for less than that Random Tech unit.

Thanks anyway,
                Mark B
                No F-Body right now

Comment

Working...
                X