X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting AC problem

So the AC is not working on my '97 LT1.
    Compressor will not turn on.
    I checked the relay and it is good, I even swapped it with a known working one (from the coolant fan) and still nothing.
    I bypassed the relay by jumping the pins and the compressor does turn on then.

Here's the interesting part...
    When the compressor is off the gauge reads about 30-35 psi in the system.
    When I bypass and force the the compressor on, it drops to nothing.

My brain is saying the compressor is shot but I wanted to pick everyone's brains here.

Am I missing something else?
    My DD
    2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Originally posted by sneitzel
    So the AC is not working on my '97 LT1.
    Compressor will not turn on.
    I checked the relay and it is good, I even swapped it with a known working one (from the coolant fan) and still nothing.
    I bypassed the relay by jumping the pins and the compressor does turn on then.

Here's the interesting part...
    When the compressor is off the gauge reads about 30-35 psi in the system.
    When I bypass and force the the compressor on, it drops to nothing.

My brain is saying the compressor is shot but I wanted to pick everyone's brains here.

Am I missing something else?
    With the compressor off and freon balanced in the system the pressure is around 100, don't hold me to that number I haven't taken a mental note in sometime. You have a leak or at least the need to charge. The compressor not running is because of low pressure switch when freon is low. If you have never charged it you may be lucky and it could take a while to leak back out. If you charge it put it on max cool with fan on full blast. They have the charge kits at the parts store with the gage on it. I've used them and they work fine.

Comment

Turns out, this was in fact the case.
      However, I had to bypass the AC relay to force the compressor to turn on so it would charge initially.
      First can in was R134a with leak stop and compressor oil.
      2nd and 3rd were the newer synthetic R134a that is supposed to cool much more effectively.

We shall see...
      My DD
      2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

Working...
      X