rough idle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rough idle

i bought s 95 Firebird 3.4 a couple weeks ago and the guy mentioned the E.G.R. valve was bad but it ran fine, i was driving today and all of a sudden it was idling at 3k rpm's and if i gave it more than a touch of throttle it seems like it would choke out. so i removed the positive cable on the battery for a min or two and put it back on, and it ran fine for 10 min til i shut it off too get gas. then started to do the same thing, so my question is would that be the E.G.R. valve or possibly something else?

thanks for any help,

Dan

Im just going to give my thoughts here, someone else may come in with more info...has the light come on? have you had it scanned for codes? sometimes vaccume leaks can raise idle, so check for leaks/cracks/holes in the rubber lines...You can also search the past posts using the advanced search above left, I looked some and didnt really see the same senario...
    hope you find the fix, let us know what it was as it may help someone else later

Al
    Extreme Memorabilia custom embroidery

2002 CAMARO SS, 35th LE # 115 ttop, M6, CME, SLP Long Tube Headers, Random High Flow Cats, SLP Strut Tower Brace, SLP Bolt on Sub Frame Connectors.

Comment

Re: rough idle

Id start with the above stated. If no check engine light showing, then start with vacuum hoses.

Comment

IAC valve. Idle Air Control Valve is responsible for metering air into the throttle body when the throttle is closed. The valve may be carbon fouled, combined with vacuum issues. Eliminate any vacuum leaks and clean or replace the IAC valve.

Do you get any check engine light?

Comment

Code has come on but goes off within a few miles guy before me said he had it scanned and it came up egr valve. I haven't scanned it myself yet but took the egr vavle and iac apart and cleaned um and seemed to do nothing but took off tps and cleaned it and put back on and seems to be fine but ill let ya know if it changes

Comment

Originally posted by Joe 1320 View Post
            IAC valve. Idle Air Control Valve is responsible for metering air into the throttle body when the throttle is closed. The valve may be carbon fouled, combined with vacuum issues. Eliminate any vacuum leaks and clean or replace the IAC valve.

Do you get any check engine light?
            +1 I just changed mine. Had the same symptoms. When I came to a stop she kept wanting to quit. Changed the sensor and all is good.
            JD

Comment

Working...
            X