LT1 timing gear question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LT1 timing gear question

I have a '97 LT1 and I am changing the timing gear set. I bought a Cloyes set but I just noticed that the gear that goes on the camshaft is solid. The OEM gear had slots cut in it. Of course this means more rotating mass but is this good or bad? Bad for HP but good for more consistant timing???? All of the sets listed on Ebay show slotted gears. I know the LT4 (which uses a different chain) is solid. Any ideas?

I don't think solid or slotted matters, but you need to make sure the cam gear has the teeth to operate your water pump drive (unless you have an electric water pump).
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

and the amount of mass between the slotted and solid one is so minimal that a gallon of gas would have more of a affect then that would
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Rotating mass is a lot more significant than dead weight. After looking at the "solid" LT4 Extreme Duty cam sprocket, we cut 5 slots in it. GM increased the mass of the LT4 set to address some vibration issues. The mass isn't needed with other setups.
        Fred

381ci all-forged stroker - 10.8:1 - CNC LT4 heads/intake - CC solid roller - MoTeC engine management - 8 LS1 coils - 58mm TB - 78# injectors - 300-shot dry nitrous - TH400 - Gear Vendor O/D - Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's - AS&M headers - duals - Corbeau seat - AutoMeter gauges - roll bar - Spohn suspension - QA1 shocks - a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800lb-ft at the flywheel, on a 300-shot. 11.5 @ 117MPH straight motor

Comment

hence why i got a C- in science keep on forgeting the otherside of the story with weight
          2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Injuneer
            Rotating mass is a lot more significant than dead weight. After looking at the "solid" LT4 Extreme Duty cam sprocket, we cut 5 slots in it. GM increased the mass of the LT4 set to address some vibration issues. The mass isn't needed with other setups.
            That is what I was thinking. But I guess I am just going to use the heavy solid version. I wish I had the resources ($$$) to cut the slots and also machine some of the meat out from under the water pump drive side as well. It was much thicker under the water pump drive portion. Like 50% thicker. Oh well. How fast do you want to go? How much money do you have? In my case, not very much money. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
            X