X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick driveshaft question.....

Hi everyone!

This question pertains to my '94 Formula:

Well, I'm trying to disconnect the driveshaft from the differential, and my Haynes manual appears to be leaving out a step, or I'm just not understanding something.

I have the rear of the car safely supported on jackstands and I even have a jack under the diff. to take up a little of the weight from the rear end.

O.K.....so per the instructions in Haynes, I remove the four bolts that hold the two clamps attaching the driveshaft to the diff. Easy enough.

A this point, the manual says to "just lower the shaft and support it with a wire"... (since I'm not removing completely).

I don't see how the shaft can come loose from the diff unless it will slide forward an inch or so towards the front of the car. Haynes doesn't mention that the shaft must be pushed forward but....how else could it come out of there? It's still captive. Didn't want to force anything until I checked with the experts here. So, should the driveshaft slide forward an inch or so into the tranny, or am I hallucinating....

I'm assuming the other end that goes into the tranny is splined (?). If it is supposed to slide forward, should it require a lot of force to move it?

(Does anyone else think Haynes manuals just can't suck enough......LOL?)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
    '94 Firebird Formula, Lt1, 6 speed, all stock

Yes, it must slide forward to get clear of the pinion yoke. It may take a bit of force. They tend to stick. A large screwdriver or even a tire iron between the yoke and the u-joint should do it.
    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Hey Rob,

Thanks so much!

By the way....great website you have, though usually when I take a look over there it unfortunately means I have a problem.....LOL.

Well, I kind of thought that's what had to happen, but I didn't want to start prying on anything until I got some expert advice. I guess Haynes didn't figure that step was worth mentioning...... <------ Me
      ..............Haynes Author
      '94 Firebird Formula, Lt1, 6 speed, all stock

Comment

and dont forget in haynes manuals, everything comes right apart and nothing is rusty, corroded or stripped
        2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

Working...
        X