Need a little advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little advice

i have decided that i want to do the LS1 brake up grade for my LT1. im haveing a hard finding a full kit, I went to the tenneseauto sit but its not working i've found other places that have the parts but not a kit and im not sure where else to find a kit. what all do i need the kit to have.

Let me see if I can remember.
    Rotors
    calipers
    knuckles (the only thing you can't buy at a car parts store)
    brake lines (I used Earls stainess) The bracket that mounts the flex line to the non flex line on the frame has a hole that is too small for the factory LS1 brake lines. You can drill it out. If you use Earls lines they have a smaller nut and will fit the bracket on the LT1 car.
    master cylinder (the LS1 master has a bigger bore to push more fluid)
    pads.
    maybe the rattle clips as mine were missing some. Autozone sold a kit for 2 calipers for $10.

You will need a small gear puller to separate the ball joints and tie rod ends.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.
    2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Jeff,
      I think you listed everything except the need for a 98+ spare tire since the old one won't fit over the LS1 calipers.

I did mine with aftermarket drilled and slotted rotors and Russell SS lines which also eliminate the need for drilling the mounting clips. Oh, and I did not replace the master cylinder.

I also took the used calipers I got from the junkyard and swapped them for rebuilt ones (at AZ) just to be safe...

+1 for getting new rattle clips and borrowing/renting the puller from AZ as well.

Lots of info in this thread about my experience and much input from others in this thread plus there's this picture. as well.
      My DD
      2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

that info was a great help. do u have to replace the master cylinder? lots of people have told me you dont need to but u can. is the anywhere to get the knukles other that a dealer or junk yard?

Comment

Originally posted by 94Lt1Formula
          that info was a great help. do u have to replace the master cylinder? lots of people have told me you dont need to but u can. is the anywhere to get the knukles other that a dealer or junk yard?
          You do not have to replace the master cylinder. The difference is the bigger bore in the LS1 will have a reduced brake pedal travel.

I do not know of anyplace else that sells the knuckles.
          2002 Electron Blue Vette, 1SC, FE3/Z51, G92 3.15 gears, 308.9 RWHP 321.7 RWTQ (before any mods), SLP headers, Z06 exhaust, MSD Ignition Wires, AC Delco Iridium Spark Plugs, 160 t-stat, lots of ECM tuning

1995 Z28, many mods, SOLD

A proud member of the "F-Body Dirty Dozen"

Comment

Working...
          X