Rough idle and stalling when put into gear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough idle and stalling when put into gear

I have a 1992 Camaro RS with a 305 TBI and 700r4. After the long winter and many upgrades. I did a tune up with MSD wires, coil, cap and rotor and champion plugs. I go to start it up for the first time this year and it starts but after it warms up in a lower idle rpm situation it will stall when put into any gear. Then when started again in a hot start situation it will idle but very selectively. Idling up and down from time to time, almost stumbling, and sometimes even stall at idle. But will never go into gear without stalling unless you help it out with some throttle. Any type of load on the engine seems to stall it. I do have both hypertech PROMs and switched them both out and it still does the same thing with both chips. I do not have the stock PROM unfortunately, wasn't given to me when I bought the car. Any help would be appreciated. I'm running out of ideas after a tune up and replacing the O2 sensor. The EGR and knock sensors are my next course of action but I would like to hear what some of you enthusiasts have to say. Also, the Check Engine Soon light will flash on shortly as it stalls but it is not on long enough to store a code.
    1992 RS 305 TBI, 700r4, 3:42 gears, Detroit TrueTrac Limited Slip, MSD wires, coil, cap & rotor, Hypertech Chip, 180 degree thermostat, 200 degree fan switch,

I was going to say EGR or vacuum leak. I would check the vac hoses then check the EGR.

I know with TPI you have to take off the Intake Plenum but i do not think it is the same situation with TBI.. good luck!
    -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

go on thirdgen.org and see if some1 can send u a stock prom and see if that fixes ur problem also ask on the TBI board as im sure ur not the frist guy with this problem. get a scanner on there and get the sensor reading
      2009 Honda Civic EX- the daily beater

old toys - 1983 trans am, 1988 trans am, 1986 IROC-Z, 2002 Ram Off-Road, 1984 K10, 1988 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500HD

Comment

can't get a sensor reading from a scanner because i do not have a stock PROM. I had a scanner on there and it doesn't give you any accurate information. EGR is not the problem. I eliminated it completely and it does the same thing. It's not the O2 sensor. We adjusted the baseline idle with the throttle linkage stop and we can get it to idle but any type of load on the engine and it dies. Pretty much any RPM lower than 1000 it will die. Keep the opinions coming. I'm lost on this one. This is the first time my father and I have not been able to figure out the problem. We're painted in a corner. Our next venture is the fuel filter but right now we're just going off of a hunch. Thanks to those who have replied!
        1992 RS 305 TBI, 700r4, 3:42 gears, Detroit TrueTrac Limited Slip, MSD wires, coil, cap & rotor, Hypertech Chip, 180 degree thermostat, 200 degree fan switch,

Comment

have you checked the fuel pressure? it does sound like a vac. leak or something. will the car rev up normally when just in neutral or does it just fall on its face?
          '97 Trans Am - B&M Short Throw - B&M Line Lock - k&N Cold air - 6 speed - Lt1 T-Tops - Lowered

Comment

Since the car doesn't have MAF, is there any way it would be running too lean?

have you checked your two injectors?
            are they stock or aftermarket?
            --if aftrmkt, are they accounted for by the PROM?
            -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
            2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

sounds like a vaccum leak or one of the plug wires aren't all the way on. seriously check all your plug wires the next time you go out to the car. if they're all on tight, break out the can of starter fluid and start checking your vaccum lines. did you gap the plugs yourself or were they pregapped? is the timing set to stock or did the previous owner adjust it?
              87 GTA: it's winter time, all tore apart

ConElite: "Im 22, have had my TA since I was 21."

"I wont lie, I have a heavy foot, but at the same time I know when its the safest to ring out a gear or 2."

Comment

Working...
              X