optispark

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• optispark

After months of scratching heads, the stealership has finally diagnosed the problem with my car as having a faulty optispark. No way in hell am I letting them fix it as they want $1,700 to replace that and a waterpump. Question is, has anyone come across a better deal than Sam Taylor? I've seen some on Ebay for under 200 but not sure if their legit or not, what's your opinion?

$1700 dollars... Wow....

I've seen the ones advertised on ebay, but I've never tried one.. for $1700, you could try a few...

Good luck..
    2005 GTO (mine) K&N CAI and Magnaflow exhaust, drilled and slotted rotors, and other minor mods.
    1994 Formula (mine) SOLD 6-23-08 Still miss it
    2002 V6 Firebird (wifes)
    2013 GMC Sierra (mine)
    2011 Cadillac CTS4 (wifes)

Comment

You won't really find a genuine GM opti for less than what Jason Cromer at Sam Taylor will sell you.
      Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

$1700 can buy quite a bit of horsepower. I recommend NOT using the "made in china or panama or pakistan or wherever the hell brand". it is too much of a pain to replace and they can fail again within months (BEEN THERE!! ) although being the frugal and cheapa$$ i am, i bought another one (but "made in USA brand") on ebay for $120-ish and i got it late november. Still running strong baby!
        -Ryan-

1997 Pontiac Firerbird Formula LT1/T56
        2006 Pontiac G6 GTP, 3.9L V6, 6-spd

Comment

Although there seems to be alot of good deals on ebay, how do you differentiate the brands. Many claim to be AC delco but how do you know for sure?

Comment

GUESS AND CHECK!!!

Just kidding.....

Honestly you cant be totally sure. but i would go by the seller ratings and reviews.

This is the guy i bought mine from...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-L...em170207991642

Make sure you order the one for your year car....i wasn't paying attn to which one you have (vented or non-vented)
            -Ryan-

Comment

Originally posted by sk8boy7789
              ...but i would go by the seller ratings and reviews.
              This is the guy i bought mine from...
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-L...em170207991642
              Hmmm...No offense, but I'd check that seller's feedback carefully.
              Their ebay negs page:
              My DD
              2015 Lexus GS350 FSport

My toy

Comment

I hope i was a lucky one.....mine was allegedly an AC DELCO part. came in the red whit and blue box(if i recall correctly) labelled AC DELCO however i was skeptical cuz of the price.

does anyone have experience with this brand?
                http://www.dynaspark.net/products/
                -Ryan-

Comment

Anyone buy from Sam Taylor recently? I called today and they quoted me $370 for the distributor not including shipping. I bought one a little over two years ago for $300 shipped if I remember correctly . That dynaspark one actually looks like pretty good quality.

Comment

Originally posted by bollars
                    Anyone buy from Sam Taylor recently? I called today and they quoted me $370 for the distributor not including shipping. I bought one a little over two years ago for $300 shipped if I remember correctly . That dynaspark one actually looks like pretty good quality.
                    Yep, prices are going up fast. Above was for a non-vented opti?
                    Rob B 95Z A4 Tech Page (Part numbers / locations, how to's, schematics, DTC's...) Home Page - shbox.com

Comment

Yeah, non vented opti. So you think that's the going rate now or was I supposed to tell him about f-body.com to get a discount.

Comment

Originally posted by bollars
                        Yeah, non vented opti. So you think that's the going rate now or was I supposed to tell him about f-body.com to get a discount.
                        That is the good price.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8boy7789
                          I hope i was a lucky one.....mine was allegedly an AC DELCO part. came in the red whit and blue box(if i recall correctly) labelled AC DELCO however i was skeptical cuz of the price.

does anyone have experience with this brand?
                          http://www.dynaspark.net/products/
                          Yes, I bought mine from thunderracing for approx $500. I am happy with it because it's a vented opti for a '94. So far, no problems with it, but I only have about 10-15k on it. Also good to 7000 RPM, which helps on a heads/cam car. They're supposed to be good for over 100k, and if it needs a rebuild, I think they charge around $30-$40 + shipping.
                          94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

Working...
                          X