please help LT1 heads and cam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please help LT1 heads and cam

i am thinking of getting the lt4 hot cams kit but i am still a young kid that makes min wage in summit they want like 2,600 for the kit is there a better package that i could get for less money or will the lt4 cam work with the stock lt1 heads till i have enough money to buy the heads....

all the help will be great.........

In my opinion, don't bother with LT4 stuff if you're going to install "as-is" or don't plan on extensive porting in the future. Go to www.eportworks.com Lloyd Elliot has the best prices for H/C combos, and pretty good head flow.
    94 Black T/A GT, Advanced Induction 355, 3200 stall, built 4L60E, Moser 9", Baer Brakes, Shooting for 11s...

Comment

thanks for showing me that site now i just have to figure out how much money i need to save up and would that lt4 package work alot better if i plan on stroking the motor or will it be about the same

Comment

I believe gmpartsdirect.com has a better price.

Here's my $0.02.

Been going over this debate till I'm blue in the face. While it seems that getting the LT1 heads ported is cheaper, it's really not. Why? Buying the LT4 package allows you to recoup several hundred dollars by selling your LT1 parts. Factor this in with the gasket set, all the springs, the rockers, etc. and the LT4 package is actually less than $1500. Granted, a set of highly ported LT1 heads will flow better, but you can always port your LT4 heads for even more perfomrance years later. Besides, if you go to sell the car, people will probably pay a few dollars more for the complete LT4 top end package vs. a set of ported LT1 heads. Again, just my opinion.

I've gone over this in my head for four years now. The LT4 package is proven, while LT1 porting seems to be hit or miss. It seems to be more difficult to get a good PCM program to mesh with the head/cam combo, unless you can get some dyno time, which costs $$$. However, the LT4 package has been tested so most programmer's have a prepackaged program ready to go. While outfits like LLoyd's seem like a good deal, you still need roller rockers and gaskets, which easliy add $500 to the cost. This makes his LE2 package over $2100 (w/ shipping). The LT4 package is the same price, but you can sell your LT1 cam, heads, and intake for about $500 - $600. Now you tell me what's cheaper???
        Al 96 Ram Air T/A
        Mods: Build # 784 * Hotchkis STB * SFCs * Borla cat back w/QTP cut-out * AS&M/RK Sports Mid-length headers w/single CAT * Koni SA shocks on lower perch w/ lowered rear * Strano Hollow front & rear antisway bars * 1LE front/rear springs * 1LE aluminum driveshaft * Strange 4.10 gears w/ Zexel Torsen diff. * ARP bearing cap studs & aluminum diff cover* J&M Hotpart poly/poly rear LCAs and poly/poly panhard bar * RAM Powergrip clutch w/ LT4 PP and RAM billet Al flywheel * C5 Z06 brakes * C6 Z06 wheels * Spohn T/A * Spohn DS Loop * fully custom interior w/ custom audio

Comment

now if i just get the lt4 cam kit w/o the heads will the kit still work with my lt1 stock heads

Comment

I really want to know the actual LT4 conversion "NO BS" gains you can expaect from a near stock 95 LT1 with pcm4less tuning. I have seen the claim of 425HP but that is with 3k worth of electronics.
            Again if someone has actual numbers they are very much appreciated.
            1995 Z28 Convertible, 350ci LT1 73K miles M6.
            Dyno results: 301.5 RWHP 326.7 RWTQ
            Performance Mods 4.10 gears, AS&M CAI, MADZ28 tune, Borla catback, RK Sport mid-length headers, LT4 valve springs, CC pro mag 1.6 RR's, LT4 KM, MSD OVC wires, TB bypass, 160 t-stat, SLP clutch plate w/Kevlar dual friction disk, 52MM TB, TB air foil, 1LE aluminum driveshaft, ASP UD pulley, LS1 brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads, LCA's and PHB.

Comment

Originally posted by wrd1972
              I really want to know the actual LT4 conversion "NO BS" gains you can expaect from a near stock 95 LT1 with pcm4less tuning. I have seen the claim of 425HP but that is with 3k worth of electronics.
              Again if someone has actual numbers they are very much appreciated.
              425 HP is possible....with a good tune and a nice host of bolt ons. I would imagine with headers (full exhaust), cai, tb bypass, etc... you could reach 425 flywheel hp on the LT4 conversion.
              black 95 t/a, a4, beefed up tranny w/ higher stall converter, transgo shift kit, trans temp gauge, trans cooler, richmond 3.73's, loudmouth, hypertech programmer, 160 thermo, descreened maf, TB bypass and airfoil, trick flow intake elbow, underdrive pulleys, moroso cai, edelbrock panhard rod, bmr stb, slp sfc's, fiberglass firehawk hood, hawk pads, taylor wires, ngk plugs, royal purple fluids,...and hopefully more to come

Comment

im getting ready to put in my cam, not an lt4 hotcam but bigger, my 3:73's are going in this weekend and then off to the dyno! ill post my numbers up when im finished.

PCM for Less tuned PCM, LT4 heads & intake, SLP headers, 1.6 RR's, SLP strut tower brace, air foil, throttle body bypass, oil cooler, 160* thermo, 3200 stall converter, manual fan switch, line lock, tranny cooler, exhaust cut outs, zexel torsion carrier w/3:73 gears, Magnaflow exhaust, Q-Logic Custom Dual 12" Sub Box, custom drk metallic blue decals, etc
                www.WS6Racing.com

Comment

Originally posted by 93*z28
                  i am thinking of getting the lt4 hot cams kit but i am still a young kid that makes min wage in summit they want like 2,600 for the kit is there a better package that i could get for less money or will the lt4 cam work with the stock lt1 heads till i have enough money to buy the heads....

all the help will be great.........

What other modifications do you have? If your still stock you may want to look into doing your bolt ons first. CAI, full exhaust including headers, traction mods if you'd like to hook with all the power of doing heads and cam. This alone will cost you over $1,000 until its all said and done. Also the LT4 hotcam cam kit will work on your car and is probably the cheapest way to put a cam in an LT1 the problem is if you do a heads and cam package a few years down the road you will probably end up replacing most of what you bought in that package including the cam.
                  1994 Firebird Formula, M6, Fan switch, 160 thermostat, Pacesetter LT headers, Morosso CAI, TB bypass, True duals.

Comment

Originally posted by 95TransAm
                    425 HP is possible....with a good tune and a nice host of bolt ons. I would imagine with headers (full exhaust), cai, tb bypass, etc... you could reach 425 flywheel hp on the LT4 conversion.
                    Yep, its possible. My Dad did it almost 5 years ago in his Comp TA. Dynoed 36x at the wheels. Had the whole LT4 conversion, SLP headers/exhaust, and all the normal bolt ons. Stock LT1 PCM with LT1 Edit doing the tune.

I ran with the LT4 stuff minus the heads in my WS6. His car weighed 100# more than mine. I ran a 12.4@111 and he ran a 12.2@113.

Mine also passed IM240 treadmill testing
                    Rob
                    04 GTO

Comment

thanks you guys for all the advise i will save up and get the whole conversion kit....

thanks again

Comment

Working...
                      X