new and shopping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new and shopping

hey everyone,...I've been in looking mode for a Firebird (forever it seems) but since I can see the light at the end of the tunnel on getting my present cars paid off, I like to realize my dream. Back in 79-80 I was the proud owner of a WS6 "Bandit T/A"...but a scant four months later I was laid off from my job and had to seel the Bird...I've been quietly yearning for one ever since. Now I'm empty nesting and came close to buying a 4th gen a couple of years ago, but I opted for a 01 Grand Prix GT. I love the GP for its blend of performance, economy,practicality, comfort and good looks. Even though the GP has a sunroof I still want an open top car and would really like a convertible since this is to be the "playtoy". I looked at a 99 V6 ragtop last week and was impressed with all the nice features (it was equipped w/ground effects, dual exhaust and 4 whl disc...isnt that W87 performance pack?)...I've done some web surfing since then and found very little in the way of performance parts for this car. Which surprised me given the amount of aftermarket available for the GP. I really dont think I'd want more than a ram air filter and maybe some headers...my last issue is one of legroom...has anyone relocated their seat back an inch or two to get their knees away from the dash some (I'm 6'3"-295)or are there longer seat tracks available?...I'm not locked in on this car, its just the most recent one I've looked at...I just want to know the options for when I do get ready to plunk down the cash...I'm open to any feedback you may have, so thanx in advance!

You are going to find lots more performance parts for a V8 car, but there are still lots out there for the V6. Go to http://www.firebirdv6.com There you will find all kinds of parts for the 6 cylinder. Oh, and dont worry about leg room. Im 6'-5" 250lbs and I fit just fine.(With the seat all the way back).

Good luck with your purchase,
    Mark B
    No F-Body right now

Comment

If I bought a V8 car I probably wouldnt worry about too many mods at all (except exhaust...I do love to hear it talk) since the V8 already has loads of power...I've even read claims that the LS1 cars will get 30mpg if equipped w/6spd...that seems almost unreal for a V8 car with 340hp!...but if its true I sure wouldnt mind it...especially since I like the 98-up models the best...isnt that when they started offering the LS1 in the T/A?

Comment

I got 30 mpg with LS1 edittuning in my M6 (I-66 with not a sole on the road for 80+ miles). If you get a v6, you'll always be asking yourelf the "WHAT IF" 's knowing that you really desire a v8. V8 f-bodies have come down in value a lot and are affordable as much as a v6 firebird. IF you cannot get what you want now, wait until you can. I waited 6 years to finish college to get my hawk. Very well worth for

Good luck in your decision
        Rhode Island Red *Lurker since 1997*

2002 Firehawk #0035/1503 !Cags | !Air | !PCV | Airborn-coated Kooks LT's | Powerbond UD Pulley | Custom Cam | Ported Oil pump | LS2 timing chain | Comp 918's | Hardened push rods | LSS | BMR STB | SLP Bolt-on SFC's | drill mod |TB Bypass | Ported TB | Custom Dyno tuning | 160* thermostat | LS7 Clutch
        Ordered: May 1, 2001 Built: June 1, 2001 Delivered August 25, 2001
        pics and info

Comment

Working...
        X